Embracing diversity in the workplace has a myriad of advantages, as many employers have discovered, and it can also have positive impacts on the success of the business. Businesses that employ a diverse workforce often find unique solutions to problems that they might have never thought of before. The culture of the business is enriched and morale is built up as well. Here are 5 outstanding ways to incorporate diversity within your workplace:
1) Networking with diversity in mind – Attend conferences of, and have representatives of your business develop relationships with ethnically diverse professional organizations and associations. When you’re looking for job candidates, let them know that your company has a policy of diversity in hiring.
2) Let recruiters know your company values diversity – If you use recruiters to fill positions, make sure they clearly know that your company embraces diversity and wishes to keep a diverse work environment. Chances are they will have candidates in mind that you may never have found on your own.
3) Maintain Excellent Communication – Once you’ve hired a diverse workforce, be sure to let them know you appreciate their work and value their opinions. Once positions are open, be sure everyone has thorough knowledge of how to apply for advanced positions. Let them know there is opportunity within your company.
4) Mentoring – Mentoring can be very valuable in creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. Hiring managers can be paired with employees who have different ethnic or cultural backgrounds. This is beneficial both to managers and to employees, bringing forth understanding and trust, and encouraging open communication.
5) Offer enticements and rewards – Things like childcare credits, memberships to gyms and stock share options can attract a diverse number of people. Keep in mind exactly the skills and talents you’re looking for and do your best to attract and keep the good people you get.
The Best Benefits of Workplace Diversity
The best benefits you’ll see from a diverse workplace include creative ways of solving problems that are unique and not thought of before, better worker productivity, fewer law suits, more marketing opportunities that open up and marked improvement in the image of your business within your community. Embracing workplace diversity ensures that you’ll hire the brightest and best candidates, and that your workplace will mirror the diversity of the community you work within.
Employees within your organization should have the ability to let management know when a fellow employee is doing outstanding work. When efforts are rewarded, it leads to higher job satisfaction and higher levels of motivation. Creating a diverse culture within the workplace elevates employees and your company.